Thundershirt is more than ‘just’ a dog coat! Having been produced in the United States by Phil Blizzard some years ago, this excellent creation has helped many dogs’ overcome their fears and anxieties. The constant light pressure that Thundershirt creates on the dogs’ torso helps to calm dogs’ who show signs of fear, noise sensitivities and even helping to reduce levels of over excitement. This wonderful invention boasts success of more than 80%.
Due to the success of this product, it is not any wonder that this is being used very effectively worldwide. Thundershirts are widely endorsed by Veterinarians, Dog Training Instructors, Behaviourists and practitioners of Tellington TTouch across the globe. Although this elegant looking ‘coat’ gives the impression of being just that, this is a fuller version of a body wrap, but with the benefits of being easy to put on and take off, making it easy for anyone to use, professionals and dog owners alike.
American Vet Dr. Temple Grandin believes that the gentle pressure applied by the Thundershirt has a calming effect on the dog’s nervous system. For years pressure has been used to relieve anxiety. For example:
- TTouch practitioners use pressure to address a wide variety of anxieties.
- Vets use pressure to relax cattle when they are administering vaccinations.
- People with autism use pressure to relieve their persistent anxiety.
- Children with certain behavioural problems use pressure shirts and weighted vests to relax and focus.
- Parents use swaddling to calm an inconsolable new born infant.
The Body Wrap has been the only option to relieve anxieties and fears, until now. The Thundershirt is much easier to administer and can be used long term, whereas the Body Wrap would be for short-term use. With many professionals using this as an added aid to kind, modern and successful behavioural modification, this is testament to the success of the product and a welcome ‘tool’ for the good of our sensitive dogs.
As Dog Training Instructors, we have used Thundershirts on clients dogs, both in class situations and during one to one behavioural assistance appointments. With dogs that show signs of stress or worry, Thundershirt has provided an instant calming effect in the majority of cases, therefore enabling them to focus on their owners and progress with their training and/or behavioural modification. On the lesser side of anxieties, Thundershirt assists dogs who may be over excited, encouraging a much calmer exterior. For puppies that might be a little unsure of the world around them, placing the Thundershirt on them immediately provides a calming effect. Thundershirt is an excellent invention, one that will remain in our ‘tool box’ as a product that can immediately assist with puppies and dogs.
Easy to fit using velcro straps:
- Place the Thundershirt on your dogs back and wrap the short flap under the torso.
- Wrap the long flap under the torso and secure with the velcro onto the short flap.
- Wrap the top flap down onto the long flap and secure with velcro.
- Wrap the chest straps around the front of your dog and secure with velcro.
Thundershirts come in seven sizes:
|Extra Extra Small (XXS)
||9 - 13 inches / 23 - 33 cm's
||< 7 lbs / < 4 Kg's
|Extra Small (XS)
||13 - 17 inches / 33 - 43 cm's
||8 - 14 lbs / 4 - 6 Kg's
||17 - 21 inches / 43 - 53 cm's
||15 - 25 lbs / 7 - 11 Kg's
||21 - 25 inches / 53 - 64 cm's
||26 - 40 lbs / 12 - 18 Kg's
||25 - 30 inches / 64 - 76 cm's
||41 - 64 lbs / 19 - 29 Kg's
|Extra Large (XL)
||30 - 37 inches / 76 - 94 cm's
||65 - 110 lbs / 30 - 50 Kg's
Benefits of the Thundershirt
- Easy to use
- Drug free
- Recommended by thousands of vets, trainers and Tellington TTouch Practitioners
Please Note: Please allow up to 7 days to receive this product.